Earlier this month, I posted an article titled Don't Start There!, in which I discussed which books were good for first time Stephen King readers -- and which should probably be avoided. Bob LeDrew at The King Cast took a poll at stephenking.com. He asked King readers "what's your worst first?"
The result? Well, you can see it below. Bob was kind enough to send me a screen image of the final tally. Doesn't look good for Gerald's Game! And I must agree, that is a pretty bad place to start reading Stephen King.
Why is Gerald's Game a bad place to start?
Is it a bad book? -- Not at all!Gerald's Game actually illustrates King's awesome strengths as a writer. Ever narrowing the scope of a book, he built his story around a woman tied to a bed. It was brilliant! Would she survive? Everything becomes a battle for her -- even a drink of water. The story moves around her childhood and deals with some pretty serious issues.
I would highly recommend this book to aspiring writers. It is a masterpiece in the art of writing. However, the story itself, and the scope, don't lend well to first time readers.
what do you think?



0 Yorumlar